Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Crater Lake


I had been sick on Sunday when we were in Africa, and since I was suppose to do Jr church my sisters filled in for me. By Monday I was feeling much better, just a little weak. I was glad I was able to go to Crater lake. The Fants (speakers from NC), Loeschers, Carrie Wright and all the missionary kids came and so it was a good time getting to know all of them. You have to travel up this crazy hill full of rocks and boulders just to get to this place. Then you park and have to climb over 300 steps to get to the top. While we were there a dessert storm was in the Sahara and had blown the dust our way. Most the time we were there it was hard to see very far. I know Crater Lake would have been even better if we could have seen farther but it was really nice as it was anyway. Some in our group were even able to see a few monkeys across the way..not me. I had to sit a lot of the time and everyone kept telling me my face was pretty red. I thought I was just hot, as that is what my face does when I have exercised or am hot. It wasn't till that evening that I found out the Malaria medicine we were one makes you more susceptible to sunburn, and I indeed had gotten sun burnt. After hanging up at the crater's top for an hour we went back down the steps and had a picnic lunch. Mrs Loescher and her son Eddie hiked the whole rim while we were there..maybe I could have if I had more strength but I doubt it. Not in an hour anyway. We had a great time and it was so nice to see such a beautiful site in Africa. Other neat things we saw there were many Fulani children who came to watch us, a cow herder on the mountain beside, mango trees and gardeners preparing the ground as it was planting season.

No comments: